Monday, July 21, 2008

Thrift Shop Ministry

There's not much to report today.  I continued cooking and Billy is still working on the sheetrock on the sanctuary ceiling.  He has new helpers from High Point.

On Saturday while I was in a thrift shop a older lady heard me talking and asked me where I was from.  When I told her North Carolina she said that she thought so and that she lived in Fayetteville as a child.  I told her that I was here in Montana with my husband helping to build a church.  She said that was wonderful and how important it is to have Jesus in your life.  We talked a little more about that and then we both started browsing the stuff on the shelves.  When I turned back around she had tears in her eyes.  She said that she really needed to talk to her mother about Jesus.  I asked her if her mother was saved and she said that she did not think so but was not sure because her mother never would talk about it.  I asked her if I could pray for her mother and she said yes so I took her hands in mine and prayed with her.  She hugged my neck and said she couldn't believe a stranger would do that.  Then she opened up to me about being a recovering alcoholic and how bad her life had been but it was looking better.  She also shared that she had started painting and really enjoyed it.

Later when I was thinking about this encounter it came to me that maybe there is a ministry for me in shopping at thrift shops.

No comments: