Monday, February 25, 2013

My Train Ride

2.23

We did not have any work teams this past week so we did not get a lot done.  Of course George and Louise were still there with us plugging along.  We are having some site issues with the local township so please be in prayer for those issues to be resolved quickly.  Ann took the train home on Sunday and will be gone for a week.  She has several appointments and will be attending the Region 1 training  on March 1 and 2 in Murfreesboro.

Ann’s Thoughts on Riding the Train

I was excited for my train adventure but a little nervous too since I had never ridden Amtrak before.   I wasn’t sure of the boarding procedure.  While I was waiting a lady sat down on my right.  I hoped she was a veteran train traveler but no, I found out it was her first time too.  After I chatted with her for a few minutes a man that had been sitting across the room from me but was now sitting on my left spoke to me.  He had seen my NC Baptists Builders coat and wondered if I was in NJ working after the hurricane.  He was a highschool principle from Williamston, NC and said his dad used to do work with them when he attended the Baptist Church.  I told him why I was here and we chatted awhile about mission trips.  I invited him and his church to come help us in NJ. This was his first train ride too.

When it was time to board the train it was very easy.  They don’t search you or your luggage, take your picture, make you take your shoes off or even look at your ticket before you board.  It’s very different from airplane boarding.  You need to be ready though because the train only stays in the station for about 5 minutes. Once on the train they come by your seat and scan your ticket.  The seats were very comfortable with lots of leg room and a foot rest.  The views were good.  I got a glimpse of the Washington Monument. The best thing is that you can use all of your electronic devices and you even have a place to plug them in.  My favorite thing was looking at the map on my phone with the GPS on and being able to see exactly where we were.  I sat beside Jackie, a nice young girl on her way back to school (ECU) from her home in New Hampshire.  On the down side there was a guy one row up and across the aisle that talked on his phone the whole time except when he was asleep.  That got a little annoying.  I took my own food and drink but they have a dining car and a lounge car where you can buy food and the prices didn’t look to unreasonable.

My trip took eight hours (scheduled for 7 1/2) which was longer than flying but about the same as driving.  For one person the ticket cost less than gas and the trip was more relaxing. All in all it was a good trip and I would do it again.

No comments: